googleads

Wednesday 19 August 2009

Sunroom Spiral Scarf - Crochet

169-6974_IMG

Hi There Folks,

How are we all today? Well when I woke up there was a definite chill in the air. I don’t even want to think about it yet but could it be that autumn is creeping up on us? Oh no we want more sunshine, more flowers blooming and more time outside. At the weekend I was getting severe crochet withdrawal symptoms and knew I had to get my fix. So off I went and rummaged through my stash amongst the mountain I found 4 balls of Wendy Fusion shade Saffron.

169-6973_IMG

I think the shades are very autumnal. As if trying to justify my actions I came up with the simple idea of making yet another scarf for the forthcoming village show. I have already made a knitted spiral scarf to enter into the show. I decided that if I could knit a spiral then I could crochet a spiral and it’s so very simple and so very quick.

169-6972_IMG

Beautiful fluid twists and turns, curves and movement.

169-6975_IMG

OK so how did I do it?

The Pattern

I used a 7mm hook but use any hook or yarn, obviously match the hook size to the yarn weight.

Decide how long you want your scarf and chain for that length. I chained 180 sts.

Row 1 – tr into 4th chain and each chain to end.

Row 2 – ch 3 and *tr into next 2 sts, dtr in 3rd st* repeat until end.

Row 3 – as row 2.

This pattern is offered and made available for personal use only. If you wish to reproduce this in any way please contact me or make sure that reference is made to the original author’s blog http://www.goodtimesithinkso.blogspot.com/ . Thank you

NOTE: for US change tr to dc and dtr to trc.

Continue until desired width is achieved. I did five rows but the yarn was quite thick and the hook quite large.

169-6974_IMG

This pattern is so quick, easy and effective. I used 200g of wool. My scarf is quite long at least 8ft and fairly chunky. However if you use a lighter yarn and smaller hook the spiral will be tighter and more springy.

169-6999_IMG Here’s the finished article wrapped around my mannequin umpteen times. So will I enter it in the village show ? Well I’m unsure right now. My youngest doesn’t think it’s an award wining scarf. He thinks the judges won’t appreciate my crazy colours ! Oh well another excuse to pick up my hook and try again. It’s not the winning that matters but the taking part, right.

170-7002_IMG

My rag rug is growing each day and I hope that today or tomorrow will bring completion and elation at another finished project. The rug is getting very large and so very difficult to work with. I love the actual process of crocheting the rug but the hours of cutting up fabric are now getting tedious. I can’t give up now though the end is in sight.

Ok folks I had better get on with my cutting up now and imagining what project comes next. Have a great day.

Find my Handmade Silver Crochet or Knitting Stitch Markers here

Crochet http://goodtimesithinkso.blogspot.com/2009/09/crochet-stitch-markers.html Knitting http://goodtimesithinkso.blogspot.com/2009/09/knitting-stitch-markers.html

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your sharing a pattern like this. Thank you very much! I really like your scarf too!

The Sunroom said...

You're most welcome I hope you find the time and inspiration to have a go at the scarf. Best wishes

Anonymous said...

The colors are beautiful very Southwestern. USA
I love the colors and pattern. I live in Albuquerque, NM. Thank you for sharing. I'll have time to finish for Fall.
Sherry

The Sunroom said...

Sherry,
Thank you for your kind comments. Do sned me a photo of your finished scarf, that would be great!

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this scarf. I am not aware of the show you are referring to, but this looks like a winning scarf to me. Thanks for the pattern.

Anonymous said...

The scarf is beatiful i love the coulors you are so kind to give the patern for free

The Sunroom said...

I'm glad you all like the scarf and hope you can find time to make one. Best Wishes

glor said...

This is so pretty, love the colors. Certainly does remind me of autumn which I love. Thank you for sharing this pattern.

Anonymous said...

just saw your scarf, I think it is great, love the colorskgbeb

Anonymous said...

I thought the scarf was beautiful too. You are very talented. Thank you for sharing the pattern. The colors are perfect for Fall. Thank you again
MemaBlueEyes

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Ihave so many projects to finish before xmas but I just have to make this scarf for my daughter and maybe one for myself! Thanks so much for the pattern!

PATTI

Anonymous said...

Many thanks. I agree with everyone else the scarf is lovely. Will be having a go soon. One more thing on my to-do list!

How goes the rug???

The Sunroom said...

I am as we speak working on the rug and hope to post some photos in the next couple of days.

Thank You :-)

Eight by Six said...

Great website I came accross today as I too like Wendy Fusion wool and have just ordered some for a scarf. I also voted for you :-)

Janice said...

Your colors a beautiful, but I have been making this spiral scraf for the last 2 years and sporting them in Nashville, TN. This is not a new idea.

artgirletc said...

I love this pattern. I have knitted the same style before but I ended up with so many stitches on your round needles that my needle broke. With this frustration I threw the unfinished scarf in the bin. I will now take a breath and crochet this lovely spiral scarf. Thank you for the sanity.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love the yarn you chose. Thank you for sharing your pattern. Beautiful!!!!

ACHEYMOMMA said...

What does a teenage boy know about fashion scarves, or fashion period for that matter, LOL. It is a beautiful scarf and I'd enter it in a heartbeat. Win, lose or draw, it still shows off your talent. I'm a newbie so I'm puzzled how this will swirl when my other crochet doesn't, time will tell as I try.
acheymomma

Anonymous said...

I love the colors. I don't think they're so crazy at all. I'm not sure what the kid was so worried about, but oh, well, you had the perfect excuse to make the pattern once again with other colors. Autumn colors are very appropriate, as are veriagated autumn colors.

Anonymous said...

At the end you state for US change the stitches - what does US stand for?

The Sunroom said...

Hi There,

US refers to changing the stitches for US American terminology.

Best Wishes,

Aileen

Unknown said...

oh, my god, the scarf looks lovely. I fall in love with it. I just learn how to crochet on YOUTUBE. It's going to be a long way for me to make a scarf like you. Is there any way you going to sell me one?

Kelly

Anonymous said...

Looks beautiful I hope mine turns out so nice.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this pattern! I can't wait to try it. My 12 year old daughter is going to love this scarf (I'm making it for her)! Thank you for sharing the pattern. I added your site to my favorites so I'll be back. Thanks again.

Pepper

Anonymous said...

Great idea and the colours are very sheik. love it. im making one but I'll use lt. gray, dk. gray and black thanks for the pattern.

Anonymous said...

This is just so special, I really love it. Curious about the change for US crocheters. We do use trc, too, so don't get the change. No worry, I know it will turn out great.

Lakelady

BlueFrontMami said...

I tried making this and it seems like your directions might be missing something, as mine didn't spiral. Looking at the pictures you posted, should it be 2 dtr in 3rd st? That's they way I ended up doing it. Thanks for sharing this great pattern.

Anonymous said...

Just found your blog and I have really enjoyed it. I have discovered crochet again after many years and I am loving it. I look forward to following you on your VERY talented and artistic journey.

Barbara (Northern Ireland)