googleads

Friday 3 July 2009

Scarves, Shawls and Sunny Days

This week has been incredibly hot and sticky but not as sunny as the rest of the country. The heat has been unbearable at night making a good nights sleep somewhat elusive. The children finished school this week so hopefully we’re in for sunny days during the summer holidays.

I’ve been working on various items this week – the ongoing retro octagon blanket a spiral scarf and a quick crochet shawl.

166-6616_IMG

The beginnings of the scarf – knitted on a circular needle 6mm, purely for length 6mm. This was quite tricky for the first couple of rows – sat in the sunny with sweaty hands and using a yarn with no stretch properties.

The finished scarf – very quick and

166-6622_IMGeasy to make.

166-6624_IMG

I decided that I really needed to start working in some new colours. I seem to be stuck in blues, greens and purples at the moment. I searched my stash and came up with some Wendy Fusion – Cajun. This yarn is 50% wool and 50% acrylic, it’s quite soft and snuggly and so I crocheted a shawl with it. I used a 6mm hook and it worked up very quickly.

166-6632_IMG

A close up of the openwork chain pattern.

166-6630_IMG

Measures approx. 130cm wide 90cm length.

166-6627_IMG

So we’ve been out in the garden doing some trimming, pruning and sitting in the sun. A few pictures of plants in bloom below.

166-6617_IMG

How vibrant is that colour ?

166-6621_IMG

This was a huge tree that we had to cut down a couple of years ago. I planted it up with a fern which has successfully made it’s home there. It looks like a strange dwarf palm tree but it keeps me happy.

166-6619_IMG

Pinks in full bloom.

Well the rain has arrived and things are cooling down just in time for the summer holidays. I will continue to work away at my octagon’s and hopefully gain some new inspiration for items to make in the coming days.

I have just got a new 10mm crochet hook and may have a go at attempting a crochet rag rug.

2 comments:

valerie said...

You make such beautiful things! love the shawl and the scarfs

The Sunroom said...

Thank you for your kind wors again Valerie.