googleads

Monday 6 July 2009

The Octagon Blanket Project

A couple of months ago i was inspired to knit an octagon throw, blanket or afghan. I had downloaded a vintage pattern many months before and naively believed this would be a ‘quick’ project.
octagonthrow
The original pattern was worked in 4 ply wool and was made up of about 122 octagons. I decided to use DK double knitting acrylic wools – for washability and durability.
165-6566_IMG
This was a quick layout to assess sizing and how many actual octagons would be needed. The colour theme is essentially greens, blues and purples.
165-6567_IMG
As you can see each octagon is bordered by four small squares and then there is a final border. I have decided to to knit all aspects of the throw in garter stitch. I still need to finalise sizing’s and numbers required. I have decided to crochet the final border so that it may actually be completed in 2009. Patience is NOT my virtue. When I began this project I estimated that i would take approximately one month, I was obviously deluded or very optimistic.
I began making at least 8-10 octagons a day but now I have to force myself to complete at least a couple a day. So many other projects and experiments beckon.
In the photographs some of the octagons appear to be black but they are in fact a forest green.
Totals to date are:
Octagons 48
Half Octagons 11
Filler Squares 23
Corner Octagons 0
In hindsight I wish I had crocheted the octagons but I’m promising myself that it will all be worth it once it’s complete.
165-6575_IMG
As ever in between knitting the octagons I went off and crocheted a massive granny square. I am obviously working in the same colour schemes here but more blues I think.
165-6536_IMG
I realise that I am too easily distracted but as long as my hands are busy I’m happy.
165-6534_IMG
The finished square measures approx 6ft square and was very quick to work.

No comments: