googleads

Wednesday 22 July 2009

Simple Abundance

Hello Everyone,

Last night we had thunder and lightening and lots of showers. Overnight it was difficult to sleep and I woke several times feeling cold. When I finally awoke and had my glass of milk, my thoughts turned to autumn and the coming cold weather and I allowed my mind to wander and began to create blankets in my mind. The fact that I have 3 blankets on the go at the moment doesn’t deter my mind from creating new creations.

I do hate to moan about the weather but it’s such a British preoccupation. I used to tell myself it was the territory of the elderly but now I know better.

‘If the first of July it be rainy weather, ‘twill rain more or less for four weeks together.’

So let’s be optimistic that August will bring summer again.

I wanted to share my thoughts on some delightful books that I’ve recently been reading. This seems a more productive way to us the day than grumbling about the weather. I will of course need to get back to my rag rug later it is almost 5ft in circumference now.

ssc02-742489

Simple Stylish Crochet – Melody Griffiths.

This is a great book full of inspiration and exquisite colour rich photographs. I love the poncho off the cover, as seen above.

The book has 24 different patterns ranging from beginner through to more the more advanced crochet pattern. It has the practical items like hats, scarves and jackets. It also has some sensational glamorous evening wear like the sequinned vest top. I think this is a good book to invest in or at least take out of your local library.

I love vintage crochet patterns and books too. I have quite a collection of books in my growing library. I recently ordered, Crochet By Design by Wynne Broughton, for borrowing at my local library. Unfortunately my local library service had lost this book and so I received this book on loan from Orkney Islands Council.

The book is as it says on the cover a sound manual for learning about the various stages of the design process. The book, although over 30 years old, is still a solid foundation for anyone wanting to master the process of designing any type of crochet. It goods give details on mastering the various crochet stitches and techniques.

I also figured given the weather is so miserable at the moment it would be uplifting and encouraging to read some pages from Sarah Ban Breathnach. Her books are beautiful and nurturing. Reading just a few pages is to escape from everyday stresses and and like having a relaxing cup of tea at the same time.

168-6861_IMG

Two wonderful books by Sarah Ban Breathnach.

Romancing The Ordinary – A Year of Simple Splendour

Simple Abundance – A Daybook of Comfort & Joy

168-6866_IMG

In Something More – Excavating Your Authentic Self, she provides a plethora of musings and reflections which can be read as inspirational affirmations. Each page provides an enriching and soothing creative resource. Something to focus on, something to consider and some gem to ponder on throughout your day.

All of these books are bursting with apposite quotations from a multitude of characters. For example the chapter ‘Entertainment’ opens with the following quote -

“The creation of something new is not accomplished by the intellect but by the play of instinct acting from inner necessity. The creative mind plays with the objects it loves.”

C. G. Jung

This I can relate very clearly to the actual creative process. So go forth and enjoy creating.

Happy creativity

No comments: