googleads

Tuesday 14 July 2009

Crochet Flowers

167-6713_IMG
I’ve been digging around and looking for crochet patterns and inspiration to create some flowers. Flowers can be used for a variety of projects – embellishing hats, scarves, belts. Decorating cushions, blankets or afghans. They can be turned into jewellery or badges and corsages.
Here are a few that I tried out.
166-6691_IMG
A rose – I found the pattern for this via http://www.pompomemporium.com/ alternatively the pattern can be found on http://www.the-dark-knit.blogspot.com/
The overall effect is quite impressive but I felt it was a bit of a convoluted pattern to achieve this flower.
167-6702_IMG
A very easy but very happy sunshine crochet daisy.
167-6701_IMG
This flower is known as a layered flower – I got instruction from The Encyclopaedia of Crochet Techniques by Jan Eaton. I found this relatively easy to produce but it was time consuming and I’m not convinced it has too many applications.
The following pink flower is adapted from the same book – here I created 8 petals rather than 10.
166-6695_IMG
And again here completed using Noro Silk Garden Yarn.
167-6729_IMG
My final flower was just an experiment and worked out relatively well. I used a 6mm hook and standard DK wool. I began a base row of 12 chain and then turned and worked to DC into each chain and repeated 5 times. I then sewed it together through the first row – this way you can adjust how tight or loose you want the final flower. Easy peasy.
167-6709_IMG
Finally before I sign off I wanted to document the following knitting pattern for a easy lacy border.
Here is the border.
167-6706_IMG 167-6707_IMG
Here is the pattern.
Cast on 4 St(s)
Row 1 - Knit
Row 2 - Knit 2, wyif, Knit 2
Row 3 - sl st, Knit
Row 4 - Knit 3, wyif, Inc 1 st
Row 5 - Knit 2, wyif, k2tog, wyif, Knit 2
Row 6 - sl 1, Knit to end
Row 7 – Knit 3, wyif, K2tog, wyif, Knit 2
Row 8 – Cast off 4, Knit to end.
Repeat these 8 rows until desired length is reached
Abbreviations:
wyif – with yarn in front
sl st – slip stitch
K2tog – Knit 2 together.
This may read as complicated but is exceptionally easy to complete.
Find my Handmade Silver Crochet or Knitting Stitch Markers here
Crochet http://goodtimesithinkso.blogspot.com/2009/09/crochet-stitch-markers.html Knitting http://goodtimesithinkso.blogspot.com/2009/09/knitting-stitch-markers.html

No comments: