googleads

Sunday 5 January 2014

Spiral Crochet Scarf Pattern

First blogged in 2009.

169-6974_IMG

Hi There Folks,

How are we all today? Well when I woke up there was a definite chill in the air. I don’t even want to think about it yet but could it be that autumn is creeping up on us? Oh no we want more sunshine, more flowers blooming and more time outside. At the weekend I was getting severe crochet withdrawal symptoms and knew I had to get my fix. So off I went and rummaged through my stash amongst the mountain I found 4 balls of Wendy Fusion shade Saffron.

169-6973_IMG

I think the shades are very autumnal. As if trying to justify my actions I came up with the simple idea of making yet another scarf for the forthcoming village show. I have already made a knitted spiral scarf to enter into the show. I decided that if I could knit a spiral then I could crochet a spiral and it’s so very simple and so very quick.

169-6972_IMG

Beautiful fluid twists and turns, curves and movement.

169-6975_IMG

OK so how did I do it?

The Pattern

I used a 7mm hook but use any hook or yarn, obviously match the hook size to the yarn weight.

Decide how long you want your scarf and chain for that length. I chained 180 sts.

Row 1 – tr into 4th chain and each chain to end.

Row 2 – ch 3 and *tr into next 2 sts, dtr in 3rd st* repeat until end.

Row 3 – as row 2.

This pattern is offered and made available for personal use only. If you wish to reproduce this in any way please contact me or make sure that reference is made to the original author’s blog http://www.goodtimesithinkso.blogspot.com/ . Thank you

NOTE: for US change tr to dc and dtr to trc.

Continue until desired width is achieved. I did five rows but the yarn was quite thick and the hook quite large.

169-6974_IMG

This pattern is so quick, easy and effective. I used 200g of wool. My scarf is quite long at least 8ft and fairly chunky. However if you use a lighter yarn and smaller hook the spiral will be tighter and more springy.

169-6999_IMG Here’s the finished article wrapped around my mannequin umpteen times. So will I enter it in the village show ? Well I’m unsure right now. My youngest doesn’t think it’s an award wining scarf. He thinks the judges won’t appreciate my crazy colours ! Oh well another excuse to pick up my hook and try again. It’s not the winning that matters but the taking part, right.

170-7002_IMG

My rag rug is growing each day and I hope that today or tomorrow will bring completion and elation at another finished project. The rug is getting very large and so very difficult to work with. I love the actual process of crocheting the rug but the hours of cutting up fabric are now getting tedious. I can’t give up now though the end is in sight.

No comments: